Classmates Cover Header

 

School Building Pictures

Our collection of photos of our schools through the years.

Wauwatosa East and Wauwatosa High

The source of most of these pictures is from yearbooks. Before September of 1961, Tosa East was Wauwatosa High School.

School Buildings

Today

School Buildings

Today - with Lincoln Elementary

School Buildings

East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1945

School Buildings

East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1945

School Buildings

East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1935

School Buildings

East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1935

School Buildings

The tree that became the stump - 1939

School Buildings

Wauwatosa High - 1927
This building will become Longfellow

School Buildings

Wauwatosa High & Grade School

School Buildings

Wauwatosa High - 1870's

School Buildings

The Tower is removed

The Tunnel

Many of our classmates were not aware of the tunnel. It was used back when Wauwatosa High had two building on either side of 76th Street.

School Buildings

The Tunnel

School Buildings

The Tunnel

School Buildings

Area outside the tunnel

School Buildings

Area outside the tunnel

Longfellow Junior High / Middle School

Does anyone know when Longfelllow became a middle school?

School Buildings

1969

School Buildings

1939 - Across from East

School Buildings

Floorplan - 1st

School Buildings

2nd Floor

School Buildings

Area of 76th Ave. & North

School Buildings

Area of 76th Ave. & North

From the book, Images of America - Wauwatosa. "Increased numbers of students led to the construction of a new Longfellow Junior High School at Wauwatosa and North Avenues; land was cleared in 1955. In an act of early historic preservation, a log cabin built in 1880 by Frederick Underwood was moved from the site, at 7720 W. North Ave., to 2515 Wauwatosa Ave. for commercial use. It sits on the location of the former greenhouse and floral shop operated by florist John M. Dunlop."

 

Hawthorne Junior High

School Buildings

Date Unknown

School Buildings

Today

From the book, Images of America - Wauwatosa. "To ease overcrowded conditions at Longfellow Junior High School, Hawthorne Junior High was constructed in 1931 at 7700 Portland Ave. It opened in 1932 with 225 students, all living south of the railroad tracks in the Village. The impressive red brick Georgian Revival style building, designed by the firm of Herbst & Kuenzli Architects, had a tower that became a landmark in the neighborhood. Students at Longfellow and Hawthorne combined in writing a school paper called the Junior Journal, in October 1932, to encourage cooperation between the two schools rather than rivalry. In 1981, the school board voted to close Hawthorne as a school and make the building available for other uses. Today it is a private residential building".

 


Copyright © Gene Hanson, 1997-2019